Wednesday, April 29, 2015

New Project: Finnish Iron Age Band Reconstructions - Kakuola Kekomäki 376a

Ever since getting Applesies, I have been mulling over a larger sort of tablet weaving project.  Here is this fantastic book with amazing pattern reconstructions of some historical bands. So, why not go ahead and make it a project to make a reconstruction of every historical band in Applesies, and maybe a few more Iron Age Finnish finds?

I've already made the Masku Humikkala band, but I used non-period materials (cotton and bamboo viscose). For this project, I want to make reconstructions that would not be out of place in period, which means using period materials and methods. I will be working my way through this project throughout the year, maybe spacing it out with some other projects. Each time, I will make an attempt to be more and more authentic in my materials and methods.




My first entry into this project is the Kakuola Kekomäki band 376a. I chose this one because it is a relatively simple pattern, but challenging in its tiny size. The original band has unfortunately been lost, but a sketch of it is available in the 1892 book by Theodor Schwindt, Tietoja Karjalan Reitakaudesta. A small fragment of the band was found attached to the top edge of a dress, opposite another band (which I will probably make at a later time as well).

Sketch from Tietoja Karjalan Reitakaudesta

This is by far the smallest band I have made at only 0.9cm in width (very close to the original's 10mm width!). The pattern is 7 tablets wide with 3 selvedge tablets on either side, for a total of 12 tablets. I used 2/16 wc worsted wool in yellow and royal blue.

More pictures below:




References:

Karisto, M. and Pasanen, M. (2013). Applesies and Fox Noses, Finnish Tabletwoven Bands. Tallinn, Estonia. Tallinn Raamatutrükikoda. www.salakirjat.net

Schwindt, T. (1892). Tietoja Karjalan Reitakaudesta. Helsinki, Finland. Google books.

No comments:

Post a Comment